Wednesday 16 February 2011

Andrew's Working Stories, number 1


I've been thinking maybe I need to write a little about jobs that have come my way since you all came on the course. I think these will illustrate points I made to you all at the time.
To start off, I wanted to talk about something I shot a fortnight ago in Midhurst, on assignment for The Times. They run a regular feature, every Monday, in their T2 supplement, called “How We Met”, where a couple write in to the paper and describe exactly that.
The feature usually features a cut-out shot of the couple with the words wrapped around them. This means I had to be very aware of the background, to make it as easy as possible for the sub-editors to cut around their shape.
Inside the house was impossible; it was a tiny cottage with dark furniture, knick-knacks and pictures everywhere. The garden was quite small as well, with high walls and trees, which made it difficult to get a clean-background shot, and the weather was miserable and damp.
Nonetheless, they had to be shot against a background that contrasted with their complete outline. Here’s the result, before and after the background was stripped away.

No comments:

Post a Comment