Monday 9 August 2010

A few course evaluations from course # 1 (mid-April 2010)

I enjoyed the course – I suspected it was going to be very good because I know Andrew’s work. However my expectations were surpassed on day one when I started to get answers to questions that I hadn’t even known to ask! 
What I didn’t expect was to have such fun on the course, so that was a real bonus.
Here's the thing: Andrew works for the nationals and regularly appears in the Sunday Times so you are getting information from the horse's mouth reporting right from the pit face.
Nick Morgan
Thank you so much for running the course - I really appreciated and enjoyed the whole of it. Where else would I have had full access to the knowledge of a professional photographer for four solid days? Fantastic!
Andrew is a star and I am so surprised that in such a short time my understanding of the business in photography has gone through the roof. I know I don't know everything about it but I have now the opportunity to start something fantastic and it's really honestly down to him. No other course would have invested or given so much confidence to me.
The course covered more than I’d hoped for. It’s done exactly what I needed and steered my photography in the right direction alongside what I currently do with studio work.Andrew did a fantastic job – I can’t thank him enough for running the course and I am cracking on with things with a much better understanding of where I want to be in the industry.
Tony Dorey

This course has given me an absolute craving to take better pictures and work harder. Very inspiring and thought provoking. The main thing I learnt is having an open mind to all possible styles of work that produces an income.......and CREATIVITY.
Thank you very much for putting the course together and I would be pleased to highly recommend the course to anyone who is serious and passionate about learning another aspect of photography.

Patrick Kneath
I really enjoyed the course and listening to Andrew throughout the 4 days at Hollingbury.  Andrew is the sort of guy that you learn from simply by being in his company, whether you are talking with him or simply just observing. 
I found it personally frustrating that we didn't get more of him during this time due to lots of questions, tangents and general off subject conversation. I suppose on reflection,  this is something that will always be a factor as people are always completely different on each and every course.  
It would be near impossible to ascertain experience levels before a course starts from students because some may well be good with a camera but many will be behind others with Photoshop for example. For example, I consider myself to be lacking in both Photoshop and technique with a lens, but I'm getting there. 
On a brighter note, since the course I seem to have gained confidence in asking perfect strangers to do things for me. Recently on the beach I asked some kids to perform for me with their skateboards and a BMX, which is something I would previously never have dreamed of. So Andrew is bang on with his 'Think like a pro…!" attitude. 
More hand-outs with Andrew's "Golden Nuggets" of information would have been brilliant for me. Checklists of things to do and even perhaps a few projects to do after the course. I mention this as the day trip was great because we were given a kind of assignment and the results were fascinating. Maybe even a night time aspect; shooting in the dark and tips etc. 
Generally speaking, I enjoyed every minute of the course and found it very worthwhile.
The one tip I remember the most was to shoot the back of your hand for correct skin tone exposure in any weather. Priceless!!!! 
How about a monthly newsletter with more tips & tricks!! Ha ha, only joking but that is what I wanted to pay to see; a seasoned pro in action and, mostly, that is what I got. 
Thank you Andrew for imparting your knowledge and to Gill for organising our arrivals and introductions. It was a pleasure to meet both of you. 
Adrian Carey

A very good course; he kept it interesting and factual. Andrew is very helpful and friendly and related well to the students. The critiquing of photos was good, as were the stories from Andrew's early career. Andrew's different angle on pet photographs (my sphere of interest) was very inspiring.
Nigel Goddard
 
I appreciated that Andrew put effort into communicating some of his experience to us. And it was fun!
Vini Pereira

No comments:

Post a Comment